Sunday, December 16, 2012

Tracing the roots of my unhealthy obsession

In the process of moving myself to a northern suburb of... wait for it... Columbus, Ohio, I happened to uncover one of the very first pics I ever snapped at a Michigan football game (see right).
This photo was taken during the Wolverines' 49-13 rout of the Indiana Hoosiers on November 3, 1973. I captured it with an Argus C3 35mm land camera, a camera with no telephoto lensing capabilities to speak of, and from what I recall this was the clearest, best shot of the whole lot. As such, I felt it was worthy at the time for an 8x10 enlargement, so I blew it up myself at a photo studio owned by a photographer my dad worked with frequently. (Pops was a commercial art rep and he had only one or two photographers he preferred using, so his kid being interested in photography and junk got to know them pretty well... well enough to have access to their darkroom equipment).
Anyway, about the game where the photo was taken. Indiana was in a familiar formation, that being punt formation. From the length and position of the shadows I would guess that this is third quarter action, with Michigan leading 42-7 (the halftime score) or 49-7 (the score at the end of three quarters).

Now compare this to a photo shot from a similar location during, say, this year's game against Air Force. Has much really changed in 40 years of football at the Big House?

No comments: